Friday, March 28, 2008

Beginner triathlon for me???

My friend wants me to enter a triathlon with her. Ok, so it's a beginner one. I think it's a 200 yard swim and a 5k run and a 6 mile bike ride. So kind of wimpy to anyone who's in decent shape, but I'm not! So I'm scared... I decided to do it, and now I'm ALL worried about the swim. I can go do lap swim at surf and swim before the kids wake up. But I'm totally intimidated. I have no idea what proper form and all that crap is. But I think since it's short, it will be a good way for me to learn. I've always wanted to train for a triathlon, so I guess it's better then starting with a real one and then being the lady who dies from it!

6 comments:

cAsSy said...

My dad is a triathlete and I am/was a swimmer. If you need pointers I'll help you out. If you feel like driving to the Ben Lomond High Pool in the wee hours of the morn my dad would get you in free and help you out.

cAsSy said...

I am training for a half marathon and don't know how to run at all!!! Why do we do this to ourselves?

Supalinds said...

No matter the length, they are are 'real' triathlons. Good for you for signing up. I remmeber talking to you about this last summer.

Surf and Swim has a swim class in the mornings. It is called a master's swim class. A coach stands on deck gives you a workout and then gives you pointers. There are varying levels of difficulty. My uncle swims there, if you are interested I am sure he would be happy to take you under his wing until you feel comfortable.

You can download swim videos on the internet, they show proper techique and form.

I stareted doing tri's in 06. I didn't know the first thing about swimming. But it is a innate action. So jump in start swimming and it will all come together.

Good luck!!! They are addicting!

Sharstin said...

that should be lots of fun--I am a really sucky swimmer!

Stephanie said...

I'll have to get you guy's #'s from Toni for when I have questions.:)

Stephanie said...

I'll have to get you guy's #'s from Toni for when I have questions.:)